This course complements existing knowledge of ethical principles, values and frameworks to explore more specific methods and concepts of ethical decision-making in physiotherapy. It takes a deep dive into more defined situations where ethical dilemmas may occur and explores concepts to surmount these. There will be a strong element of analysing real life scenarios in the discussions, so be prepared to share your thoughts and experiences with others, this will allow us to explore our own professional values, to learn from and with others on this course.
This course is made up of videos, reading, forum posts and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Ethical Reasoning
- Rules and Regulations
- Autonomous practice
- The Disability Paradox
- The Ethical Reasoning Bridge
- Narrative Reasoning
Course aimsUtilising knowledge of ethical values, principles and decision-making frameworks, the aim of this course is to develop more complex professional ethical reasoning skills by exploring practice scenarios.
Hours of learning
Completing this course will involve approximately 6 hours of learning activities that can be completed on a participant’s own schedule.
Please note that no deadlines are applied and this course can be started and completed according to your own schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 5-6 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
It’s not going to be easy, we’ll expect you to work hard for your completion certificate and Physioplus points! You won’t be sitting back and watching webinars, we’ll expect you to reading tasks, complete quizzes, perform literature searches and other learning activities. You’ll need to reflect on your own experiences and contribute them within the discussion forum, this is where we can learn from each other’s experiences and knowledge from all around the world! At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 6 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Types of activitiesReading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- evaluate an ethical dilemma using the 5 principles of ethical reasoning
- identify 10 examples of ethical concern from given scenarios
- evaluate challenges to ethical reasoning in 3 given practice scenarios
- describe how the ethical reasoning bridge could be used to resolve ethical dilemmas in clinical practice
- discuss the adaptation of normative ethics to 3 different cultural contexts using narrative reasoning
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive your course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physiopedia Plus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.