Summarising the latest research & evidence
Trusted by over 100,000 clinicians
Learn anytime, anywhere, on any device
Accredited certificate of completion
This course complements existing knowledge of ethical principles, values and frameworks to explore more specific methods and concepts of ethical decision-making in physiotherapy. It takes a deep dive into more defined situations where ethical dilemmas may occur and explores concepts to surmount these. There will be a strong element of analysing real life scenarios in the discussions, so be prepared to share your thoughts and experiences with others, this will allow us to explore our own professional values, to learn from and with others on this course.
Utilising knowledge of ethical values, principles and decision-making frameworks, the aim of this course is to develop more complex professional ethical reasoning skills by exploring practice scenarios.
This course is made up of videos, reading, forum posts and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Ethical Reasoning
- Rules and Regulations
- Autonomous practice
- The Disability Paradox
- The Ethical Reasoning Bridge
- Narrative Reasoning
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 5-6 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 6 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- evaluate an ethical dilemma using the 5 principles of ethical reasoning
- identify 10 examples of ethical concern from given scenarios
- evaluate challenges to ethical reasoning in 3 given practice scenarios
- describe how the ethical reasoning bridge could be used to resolve ethical dilemmas in clinical practice
- discuss the adaptation of normative ethics to 3 different cultural contexts using narrative reasoning
See more testimonials