See more testimonials
Fatigue, sleep deprivation and stress are common in healthcare professionals especially during the COVID-19 pandemic. Sleep and the body’s immune system are inextricably linked. Sleep deprivation potentially impairs the body’s immune response, negatively affects inflammatory homeostasis and may also lead to an increased risk of infection and worsen the clinical conditions caused by a disease such as COVID-19. It is imperative to address sleep health for the sake of healthcare professionals and their patients particularly during the stresses imposed during a pandemic.
This course aims to provide you with knowledge on the importance of sleep and the effects of sleep on the immune system as well as recommendations and interventions for good sleep hygiene in healthcare professionals.
This course is made up of videos, reading, forum posts and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Reading activity
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 1-1.5 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 1 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Describe the impact of COVID-19 on sleep with respect to the ways sleep has been affected and the challenges to sleep during the pandemic
- List at least four benefits of sleep
- Describe what happens to the immune system during periods of sleep and what happens in stages of prolonged sleep deprivation
- Justify the importance of sleep for healthcare professionals during the pandemic
- Discuss the recommendations and interventions for good sleep hygiene for healthcare professionals