COVID-19 Post-Acute Rehabilitation
People with severe COVID-19 infection have rehabilitation needs in the acute, post-acute and long-term phases of the disease. Many people who have suffered from COVID-19 may now be at risk of long-term impairment or disability. Physiotherapists are critical to the rehabilitation efforts in all phases of this disease. Rehabilitation has a positive effect on health and functioning outcomes, it improves recovery and can reduce disability, it may facilitate early discharge and reduce the risk of readmission. Physiotherapists also play a key role in supporting and empowering people through rehabilitation process.
This course aims to provide you with knowledge on the benefits of post-acute rehabilitation in COVID-19 patients, the clinical picture of these patients in the post-acute phase and rehabilitation strategies that can be applied by physiotherapists in the post-acute phase of COVID-19.
This course is made up of videos, reading, forum posts and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Reading activity
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 1.5-2 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 1.6 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Discuss the role of rehabilitation during the post-acute phase of COVID-19
- Correctly identify the possible complications and conditions that may develop in the post-acute phase of COVID-19
- Plan a suitable, patient specific, post-acute rehabilitation strategy for a patient recovering from severe COVID-19 infection
- Select at least 6 validated outcome measures to use during the post-acute phase in individuals with COVID-19
- Describe the actions rehabilitation service providers can take to manage and improve rehabilitation services during the COVID-19 pandemic