Summarising the latest research & evidence
Trusted by over 100,000 clinicians
Learn anytime, anywhere, on any device
Accredited certificate of completion
Mental Health is every physiotherapist's / physical therapist's business. As a key component of the bio-psycho-socio model used to understand a patient's individual circumstances, Mental Health concerns in physical therapy are not just confined to those patients who have psychiatric diagnoses. Mental Health issues can accompany a broad range of different health conditions, such as diabetes, stroke, amputation, cancer, chronic pain or childhood disabilities. As a healthcare professional with a long term personal relationship with their client, a physiotherapist is in a unique position to be able to identify and address this aspect of their patients well being. This is leading to the growing use of physiotherapy approaches in the treatment of patients even with severe mental health problems worldwide.
Understand the value of physiotherapy approaches for your patients/clients with mental health issues in various settings, diagnoses and degrees of severity.
This course is made up of videos, reading, forum posts and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- International Organisation of Physical Therapists in Mental Health
- Physical Therapy and Physical Activity in Mental Health
- Mental Health Problems and Severe Mental Illness
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 3-4 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 3.3 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- justify the role of physiotherapy in mental health care
- identify at least 5 descriptions of mental health
- select the 4 aims of the International Organisation of Physical Therapy in Mental Health adapted by IOPTMH
- list 5 descriptions of cognitive behavioural techniques in physiotherapy
- discuss the 2 classification groups in old age psychiatry
- select the appropriate actions for a physiotherapist to take in a mental health setting when planning a treatment session
- list at least 3 health style factors linked to severe mental disorders
See more testimonials