Frameworks for Ethical Decision Making
Learn about the existing ethical frameworks that govern practice
An online course with Andrea Sturm
Trusted by over 100,000 physiotherapists
Improve your clinical knowledge and skills today!
Learn anytime, anywhere, on any device
In addition to having knowledge of ethical principles and an understanding of ones own moral values, the practice of physiotherapy is governed by various ethical frameworks such as laws, regulations, policies, and guidelines. It is important for physiotherapists to be familiar with these and to understand when each is applicable to a given practice setting and/or specific patient.
The aim of this course is to provide you with an understanding of the ethical frameworks available for your own clinical practice.
This course is made up of videos, reading, forum posts and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Ethical principles of the World Confederation of Physiotherapy
- National ethical codes of conduct
- EBP and the ICF in Ethical Decision Making
- Frameworks for identifying and analysing an ethical issue
- Patient participation
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 3 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 3.5 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- summarise the 8 ethical principles set out by the WCPT
- discuss the three components of evidence based practice and how it influences ethical decision making
- describe two purposes of the ICF in relation to ethical decision making
- identify an ethical dilemma within a case scenario
- list the six components of a given ethical decision making framework
- justify the use of a national, state or self-selected ethical decision making framework in current practice
- list four aims of Patient and Citizen Participation in Health