Frameworks for Ethical Decision Making
In addition to having knowledge of ethical principles and an understanding of ones own moral values, the practice of physiotherapy is governed by various ethical frameworks such as laws, regulations, policies, and guidelines. It is important for physiotherapists to be familiar with these and to understand when each is applicable to a given practice setting and/or specific patient.
This course is made up of videos, reading, forum posts and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Ethical principles of the World Confederation of Physiotherapy
- National ethical codes of conduct
- EBP and the ICF in Ethical Decision Making
- Frameworks for identifying and analysing an ethical issue
- Patient participation
Course aimsThe aim of this course is to provide you with an understanding of the ethical frameworks available for your own clinical practice.
Hours of learning
Completing this course will involve approximately 3.5 hours of learning activities that can be completed on a participant’s own schedule.
Please note that no deadlines are applied and this course can be started and completed according to your own schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 3.5 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
It’s not going to be easy, we’ll expect you to work hard for your completion certificate and Physioplus points! You won’t be sitting back and watching webinars, we’ll expect you to reading tasks, complete quizzes, perform literature searches and other learning activities. You’ll need to reflect on your own experiences and contribute them within the discussion forum, this is where we can learn from each other’s experiences and knowledge from all around the world! At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 3.5 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Types of activitiesReading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- summarise the 8 ethical principles set out by the WCPT
- discuss the three components of evidence based practice and how it influences ethical decision making
- describe two purposes of the ICF in relation to ethical decision making
- identify an ethical dilemma within a case scenario
- list the six components of a given ethical decision making framework
- justify the use of a national, state or self-selected ethical decision making framework in current practice
- list four aims of Patient and Citizen Participation in Health
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate you will need to:
- abide by the Physiopedia Plus Community Culture
- log as completed all the required learning activities
- actively participate in the course forum discussions
- pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more
- complete a course evaluation form