Online Course: Introduction to Amputee Rehabilitation
Introducing the need to know concepts before you start amputee rehab
Powered by Physiopedia
Summarising the latest research & evidence
Trusted by over - clinicians
Learn anytime, anywhere, on any device
Accredited certificate of completion
Select a country (and if appropriate state) to view information about this course's accreditation and/or acceptance in this jurisdiction.
To effectively rehabilitate a person with a lower limb amputation it is important to have a good understanding of the amputee rehabilitation process and the multidisciplinary team involvement in the different phases of rehabilitation. An understanding of the major causes of amputation and the principles of amputation will help you to appreciate how the process of rehabilitation may be influenced by the causative condition and the surgery.
This course will explore the phases of amputee rehabilitation, multidisciplinary team involvement, and the causes and principles of amputation.
This course is made up of videos, reading, forum posts and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Amputee Rehabilitation Overview
- Multidisciplinary/Interdisciplinary Management of the Amputee
- Pathology Leading to Amputation
- Principles of Amputation
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 3-4 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 3.4 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Describe the ultimate goal of rehabilitation after any amputation
- Identify 6 aspects of interdisciplinary teamwork
- Discuss the three major causes/ pathologies leading to amputation
- Discuss the effect of multipathology/complex amputation cases within amputee rehabilitation based upon case scenarios
- Correctly identify 4 factors a surgeon should consider when doing amputation surgery
- Contrast at least five amputation levels taking into account the major causes, surgery and the effect on rehabilitation outcome
An awesome course that I recommend all physiotherapists to take.
Bundi Daniel Charles
This course provides an excellent platform for all physical therapists who want to practice in post amputation rehabilitation.
Very useful and practical introduction to rehabilitation for amputees. Definitely a good foundation.
Excellent course for someone who has not worked with amputees and would like an introduction to the management of this population.