Summarising the latest research & evidence
Trusted by over - clinicians
Learn anytime, anywhere, on any device
Accredited certificate of completion
Concussion is a clinical diagnosis. It cannot be seen on an MRI or CT scan. It has been described as a metabolic, physiological, and microstructural injury to the brain. Concussion results in a complex variety of physical, cognitive, visual, emotional, and sleep-related disturbances. In order for us to assess and treat concussion, we need to understand the mechanism of injury, and what happens to the brain at a macroscopic and microscopic level. This course provides a basic introduction to concussion looking at the cause of concussion, the neuropathology of concussion and the neurometabolic cascade that occurs after a concussion injury.
This short course aims to understand the symptomatology of concussion and the mechanism of injury. It will also discuss the neurometabolic cascade and neuropathology of concussion.
This course is made up of videos, reading, discussions and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Reading activity
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 1 hour depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 0.6 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- select up to 6 symptoms of concussion
- discuss up to 6 features of the mechanism of injury of concussion
- discuss the neuropathology of concussion injuries with regards to brain structure and imaging
- compare the diagnosis of Second Impact Syndrome and Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy
- explain up to 6 characteristics of the neurometabolic cascade that occurs as a result of a concussion injury