Summarising the latest research & evidence
Trusted by over - clinicians
Learn anytime, anywhere, on any device
Accredited certificate of completion
Select a country (and if appropriate state) to view information about this course's accreditation and/or acceptance in this jurisdiction.
What is Global Health? What do we actually mean by the term, how do we measure it and why is it important. Is it even relevant for us as physiotherapists? Is it a new paradigm or is it just a current trend or fashion? We need to be able to answer these questions in order to understand and develop our role as physiotherapists within this area. This course will examine the emergence of the global health discipline, examine the ways in which global health can be measured and explore the determinants of health.
The aim of this course is to provide a comprehensive knowledge and understanding of what global health means for a health care professional.
This course is made up of videos, reading, forum posts and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Understanding Health
- Determinants of Health
- What is Global Health?
- Measuring Global Health
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 2-3 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 1.9 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- list 3 basic indicators of population health
- identify the 5 broad categories of determinants of health
- describe 3 metrics used to quantify the burden of health, disability and disease on a population
- explain 5 key principles underlying global health in a community
- identify at least 4 aspects of global health as it relates to health promotion, health outcomes, sustainable development, and the role of the physiotherapist
- list at least 1 example of a global health issue
- summarise a self-selected journal article on the burden of disease in your community
Physical Therapist, Uganda
I find this course fascinating because of the depth of the information provided and the accuracy of the reading materials. I would gladly recommend it to anyone who desires to acquire knowledge on global health.
Physiotherapist, United Kingdom
It's am important course for all physiotherapist to gain knowledge about the different conditions
DANIEL Ibrahim Akinola
I enjoy every bit of the Physiopedia courses but this was different because it was not a condition and I didn't see the relevance at first but by the fourth week I was overwhelmed. Thank you Physiopedia.