Summarising the latest research & evidence
Trusted by over 100,000 clinicians
Learn anytime, anywhere, on any device
Accredited certificate of completion
This course will focus on developing an understanding of Traumatic Brain Injury; what it is, what causes it, how often it occurs, what you might expect to see, the impacts it has on movement and function, and what other associated conditions may occur. We need to be able to answer these questions in order to understand our role as physiotherapists in the management of traumatic brain injury.
The aim of this course is to provide knowledge of neuroanatomy and traumatic brain injury clinical presentations, and to explore both local and global prevalence of this condition.
This course is made up of videos, reading, discussions and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Brain Anatomy and Pathophysiology of Traumatic Brain Injury
- Epidemiology, Incidence and Global Burden of Traumatic Brain Injury
- Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury
- Associated Conditions and Medical Complications
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 3-4 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 2.6 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Correctly identify the impact of injury to the 4 major lobes of the brain
- Describe both your local national prevalence and the global prevalence of traumatic brain injury
- Discuss brain pathophysiology in terms of vascular autoregulation, oedema, and diffuse axonal injury
- Discuss at least 5 medical complications following a traumatic brain injury