Lateral Ankle Injury Assessment
See more testimonials
Lateral ankle sprains have a high rate of recurrence and a tendency to develop into chronic instability. There are a set of factors that can be used to determine the likelihood of progressing into chronicity and assessing these factors can help to predict and prevent this.
In this course, you will explore the contributing factors to chronic ankle instability and the components of the assessment process.
This course is made up of videos, reading, discussions and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Reading activity
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 0.5 - 1 hour depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 0.5 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Select at least 4 contributing factors to Chronic Ankle Instability.
- Identify at least 3 measures that indicate high risk for recurrent ankle sprain and instability
- Plan the subjective and objective lateral ankle sprain assessment
- Justify referral for x-rays after a lateral ankle sprain based upon the Ottawa Ankle Rules
- Define 4 markers of Chronic ankle instability