Summarising the latest research & evidence
Trusted by over - clinicians
Learn anytime, anywhere, on any device
Accredited certificate of completion
Each time you work with an individual with spinal cord injury it is a unique experience depending on that individual’s presentation. You will use your knowledge and clinical reasoning skills to develop an individualised management plan specifically for that individual. As such we cannot prescribe to you specifically how to treat individuals with a spinal cord injury but you can use the resources below to inform your practice. We will examine different phases of management of individuals with spinal cord injury: acute, rehabilitation and long term management including best practice guidelines.
This course aims to ensure a comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the role of clinical guidelines for the treatment and management of spinal cord injury as well as awareness of current best practice guidelines through each of the stages of spinal cord injury management.
This course is made up of videos, reading, forum posts and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Multidisciplinary / Interdisciplinary Team and the Role of the Physiotherapist
- Clinical Guidelines in Spinal Cord Injury Management
- Principles of Physiotherapy Management of Individuals with Spinal Cord Injury
- Motor Control and Learning in Spinal Cord Injury
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 7 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 6.8 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Explain the role of the multidisciplinary team in the management of spinal cord injury
- Describe the goals in the 4 management phases of spinal cord injury
- Identify the 3 stages of motor learning in spinal cord injury
- Describe the general principles of physiotherapy management in different levels of spinal cord injury
This is an excellent course that is strongly recommended for all health care professionals.
This is a fantastic short course with engaging and up-to-date content. My learning will most certainly guide my practice and I'll be a more effective physio for it. Thank you!