Learn how to facilitate sustained behaviour change
An online course with Mandy Roscher
Trusted by over 100,000 physiotherapists
Improve your clinical knowledge and skills today!
Learn anytime, anywhere, on any device
Motivational Interviewing is a communication style that facilitates behavioural change. In the physiotherapy setting patients will almost always need to commit to a form of change in their day to day actions, whether it is big or small. Understanding Motivational Interviewing (MI) and developing the communication skills and techniques that support this approach can help patients resolve any feelings of ambivalence to change as well as effectively bring about new behaviours.
This course aims to give you an overview of Motivational Interviewing as well as some fundamental skills to get you started.
This course is made up of a video, reading, forum posts and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Reading activity
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 1.5-2 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 1.3 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- identify which stage of change a client is in based upon their thoughts regarding change
- describe the 4 principles of motivational interviewing
- list the 4 processes of motivational interviewing
- design a motivational interview based on case presentations using the skills learned on this course