Neck Pain Assessment Case Study
See more testimonials
Assessing and treating patients with neck pain is far from straightforward. Neck injuries can cause an array of issues beyond pain and range of motion deficits, including sensorimotor impairments and changes in muscle performance. This case study provides a model assessment of a 22-year-old male patient who has chronic neck pain. Chris Worsfold explores all the aspects of the assessment from balance to vision and muscle performance as part of the differentiating diagnosis for this patient’s chronic neck pain and then discusses potential treatment options.
This course aims to provide you with an example of how a neck pain assessment can be structured, from subjective assessment through to objective tests and potential treatment options.
This course is made up of videos, reading, forum posts and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Reading activity
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 1-1.5 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 1 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Choose an appropriate set of assessment tests based on a case study relating to chronic neck pain
- Select appropriate treatments for a patient with neck pain and sensorimotor or muscle performance impairments
- Discuss sensorimotor impairment in neck pain and associated symptoms