Physical Activity as EBP in Mental Health
Physical activity (PA) and exercise are increasingly being recognised as efficacious components of treatment for various mental health disorders. There is now increasing evidence supporting the inclusion of PA programs as an adjunct to treatment for various conditions for depression, schizophrenia, anxiety disorders, post-traumatic stress disorder and substance abuse. These research results support the inclusion of clinical PA programs within mental health treatment, facilitated by dedicated clinicians (exercise physiologists/physiotherapists) and there are now many examples of successful integration of clinical PA programs within mental health treatment facilities.
Understand how Physical Activity may contribute to the treatment of an individual with a mental health disorder and learn about related practical exercises and professional core skills for health care professionals.
This course is made up of videos, reading, forum posts and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- The Effects of Physical Activity on Mental Health
- Physical Activity as Treatment for Mental Health
- Core Skills for Mental Health Care
- The Role of Exercise in Preventing and Treating Depression
- Case Scenario
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 3-4 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 3.1 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- explain the contextual importance of the 10 core skills for mental health professionals
- describe a minimum of 5 signs of stress in a health worker and how to manage it
- develop an exercise program for a person with mental health comorbidities and a physical diagnosis based on a case scenario
- justify the therapeutic effects of physical activity on different mental health disorders based on the basis of available evidence