Role of Physiotherapy in COVID-19
The Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) has led to a global pandemic affecting a large proportion of the countries of the world. As front line practitioners, it is likely that physiotherapists and physical therapists will come into direct contact with patients that are infected by this virus. It is therefore essential that they understand the many aspects of their role in identifying, containing, mitigating and treating the symptoms of this disease. This includes implementing methods to reduce the transmission of COVID-19, initiating early identification strategies, and dealing with identified cases appropriately in the clinic and home environments. Note: a detailed review of the physiotherapy respiratory care of these patients will be addressed in a subsequent course.
This course aims to provide you with an understanding of the role physiotherapists can play in managing issues related to the COVID-19 disease from case identification, limiting transmission in different clinical settings and treating patients with mild symptoms.
This course is made up of videos, reading, forum posts and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Reading activities
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 1 hour depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 0.8 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Describe 6 practices that will help to limit the transmission of COVID-19
- Plan early identification strategies of COVID-19 in your clinical setting
- List 10 recommendations that self-isolating patients and families/carers can follow to reduce the transmission of COVID-19
- Select appropriate physiotherapy interventions for patients who have respiratory symptoms
- Describe what constitutes a COVID-19 “contact”