Online Course: Sleep Deprivation and Sleep Disorders
Learn to identify key sleep disorders and explore the physical and mental impact of a lack of sleep
Powered by Physiopedia
Summarising the latest research & evidence
Trusted by over 100,000 clinicians
Learn anytime, anywhere, on any device
Accredited certificate of completion
Sleep is a universal experience, and it is essential for general health and survival. However, sleep has become a significant public health issue, as more and more people are becoming sleep deprived. This course, the third in a series of three sleep courses, explores the impact of sleep deprivation on health and introduces you to the main types of sleep disorders and the impact these can have on our patients' health and our own professional performance.
This course aims to introduce the impact of sleep deprivation and the main types of sleep disorders.
This course is made up of videos, reading, forum posts and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Reading Activities
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 1-1.5 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 0.9 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- list 3 common changes on waking EEGs while in a state of sleep deprivation
- summarise the effect of caffeine on sleep
- discuss the impact of sleep deprivation on physical and mental health
- interpret the effects of sleep deprivation on both patients and health workers in a clinical setting
- classify common sleep disorders based on the categories provided by the International Classification of Sleep Disorders
This a fantastic platform to improve our knowledge and clinical practice... Physioplus is like a family that gather members from the whole world where everyone opinion is respected and everyone has an equal chance to improve his/her skills.
Very user friendly and easy to dip into. The expert interviews are especially enjoyable.