Specific Therapeutic Interventions for Traumatic Brain Injury
See more testimonials
A wide range of treatment techniques and approaches are utilised in neurological rehabilitation. Many of these come from quite different philosophical backgrounds. Research to support the different approaches varies widely, with a wealth of scientific evidence supporting the use of some techniques while other approaches are only supported by anecdotal evidence. In this course we will explore specific therapeutic interventions that are currently utilised in the treatment and management of traumatic brain injury and the evidence base behind each.
This course aims to ensure comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the range of therapeutic interventions available to you as a physiotherapist for treating individuals following traumatic brain injury.
This course is made up of videos, reading, forum posts and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Overview of Therapeutic Interventions
- Respiratory Management
- Contracture Management
- Physical Activity
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 3-4 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 3.3 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- justify the use of different therapeutic interventions depending on the treatment goal for a patient with TBI
- discuss at least 5 benefits of physical activity in adults with TBI
- explain the role of the physiotherapist in respiratory management following a TBI
- identify two options for the management of contractures following a TBI
- plan a fall prevention program for an individual following a TBI