Summarising the latest research & evidence
Trusted by over 100,000 clinicians
Learn anytime, anywhere, on any device
Accredited certificate of completion
Between 1% and 5% of all musculoskeletal presentations in primary care are due to serious pathology. Spinal malignancy is the second most common serious pathology of the spine. However, identifying these types of pathologies as the cause of musculoskeletal pain is very complex. This course reviews a framework that has been developed to enable clinicians to identify patients with serious pathology as part of a differential diagnosis, as quickly and reliably as possible. This course will introduce spinal malignancy and explore the basis and application of this framework in detail.
This course aims to introduce spinal malignancy and describe a framework developed to aid early detection of serious spinal pathology.
This course is made up of videos, reading, discussions and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Reading activity
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 1-1.5 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 0.9 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- list the 5 primary cancers most likely to spread to the spine
- discuss spinal metastases in terms of the most likely sites in the spine
- identify 8 signs of metastatic spinal cord compression
- interpret the Decision Tool for Early Identification of Serious Spinal Pathology developed by Finucane and colleagues using case studies as examples
- justify the use of the Decision Tool for Early Identification of Serious Spinal Pathology developed by Finucane and colleagues in clinical practice
Physiotherapist, United States
Physioplus is an extremely helpful resource. I have been out of ‘hands on’ Physiotherapy for a few years (doing humanitarian work abroad), and this has given me up to date, evidence based research and guidelines. I wish I’d discovered it earlier: it would have saved me a lot of trawling around the Internet for high quality articles.
This course broadened my knowledge about exercise prescription and how educating the patient in the correct way can make a significant difference in treatment.