Stratified Care for Low Back Pain
The course will have a broad overview of Stratified Care for Low Back Pain and then have a deeper look at the Patient Prognosis Subgrouping with focus on the STarT Back Approach. The course will not teach practical skills or lead to any clinical qualification.
Stratified Care for Low Back Pain matches subgroups of patients to specific treatments. The subgroups are based on certain characteristics that will assist the clinician’s decision making in providing the appropriate treatment for low back pain. Different approaches to stratified care exist and it is important for physiotherapists to understand the different approaches and make an informed decision on which approach(es) will be more appropriate for their patients.
This short course consists of three main elements:
- Video of interview with topic specialist
- Reading activity
Course aimsThe aim of the course is to introduce the concept of Stratified Care for Low Back Pain and to have a deeper look into the Patient Prognosis Subgrouping.
Hours of learning
Completing this course will involve approximately 1.6 hours of learning activities and these can be completed on a participant’s own schedule.
This is a short course comprised of 3 components, a video, a reading section(s), and a quiz. No deadlines are applied and this course can be started and completed according to your own schedule. We expect the required elements of the entire course to take around 4-6 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there may be some optional resources provided and a discussion forum, if you choose to engage with these the course could take longer to complete.At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion.
Types of activitiesReading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- describe 3 models of Stratified Care for non-specific lower back pain
- plan your physiotherapy treatment based upon the STarT Back Approach risk profile of a patient with non-specific low back pain
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate you will need to:
- Be part of the Physiopedia Plus Community Culture.
- Log as completed all the required learning activities (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.