Targeted hip and knee strengthening
This course will cover information on muscle reloading and strengthening for lower limb conditions, and provide an evidence based review on gluteus medius strengthening. It will not teach practical skills or lead to any clinical qualification.
The gluteus medius plays an important role in lower limb and pelvis stability and it has been linked to many lower limb conditions. When treating a patient with knee or hip problems it is important to progress the strengthening exercises according to the patient’s ability and the amount of load it places on the muscle. The therapist should consider the patient’s history, pain, current functional ability, the purpose for the exercise, the load of the exercise, the load the patient can handle, and the functional ability the patient needs to return to, before prescribing exercises.
- Video of conversation with Lee Herrington
- Reading a related journal article
Course aimsThis course aims to give you a deeper understanding of how to progress gluteus medius strengthening exercises and practical advice to follow when rehabilitating a patient with lower limb conditions.
Hours of learning
Completing this course will involve approximately 1.6 hours of learning activities that can be completed on a participant’s own schedule.
Please note that no deadlines are applied and this course can be started and completed according to your own schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 1-2 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
It’s not going to be easy, we’ll expect you to work hard for your completion certificate and Physioplus points! You won’t be sitting back and watching webinars, we’ll expect you to do reading tasks, complete quizzes, perform literature searches and other learning activities. You’ll need to reflect on your own experiences and contribute them within the discussion forum, this is where we can learn from each other’s experiences and knowledge from all around the world! At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 1.6 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Types of activitiesReading journal articles, watching videos and attempting a quiz.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- describe 10 gluteus medius exercises based on the amount of load it places on the muscle
- choose 7 strengthening exercises to include in the rehabilitation of a patient with a knee condition, based upon the patient evaluation and the load they can tolerate
- identify 6 aspects to include in the education of a patient about load progression in the rehabilitation phase
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate you will need to:
- Be part of the Physiopedia Plus Community Culture.
- Log as completed all the required learning activities (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.