Summarising the latest research & evidence
Trusted by over - clinicians
Learn anytime, anywhere, on any device
Accredited certificate of completion
Select a country (and if appropriate state) to view information about this course's accreditation and/or acceptance in this jurisdiction.
The gluteus medius plays an important role in lower limb and pelvis stability and it has been linked to many lower limb conditions. When treating a patient with knee or hip problems it is important to progress the strengthening exercises according to the patient’s ability and the amount of load it places on the muscle. The therapist should consider the patient’s history, pain, current functional ability, the purpose for the exercise, the load of the exercise, the load the patient can handle, and the functional ability the patient needs to return to, before prescribing exercises. This course will cover information on muscle reloading and strengthening for lower limb conditions, and provide an evidence based review on gluteus medius strengthening.
This course aims to give you a deeper understanding of how to progress gluteus medius strengthening exercises and practical advice to follow when rehabilitating a patient with lower limb conditions.
The course content is split into the following sections:
- Video of conversation with Lee Herrington
- Reading a related journal article
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 1-2 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 1.6 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- describe 10 gluteus medius exercises based on the amount of load it places on the muscle
- choose 7 strengthening exercises to include in the rehabilitation of a patient with a knee condition, based upon the patient evaluation and the load they can tolerate
- identify 6 aspects to include in the education of a patient about load progression in the rehabilitation phase
Excellent course which really helped me think more critically about what exercises to prescribe as appropriate for patient-level of rehabilitation process and ability.
A great short course which taught me different gluteus medius exercise and how I may progress the loading for different patients.