Online Course: The Impact of Trauma on Mental and Physical Health
The potential symptoms and conditions exhibited by individuals who have experienced an ordeal
Powered by Physiopedia
Summarising the latest research & evidence
Trusted by over 100,000 clinicians
Learn anytime, anywhere, on any device
Accredited certificate of completion
Traumatic experiences are unfortunately a fact of human life and can affect the body, mind, psyche and an individual’s physical and emotional self-regulation. After a traumatic experience, some individuals experience physical symptoms and first-line practitioners should be aware of this when seeing clients after a trauma. The physical symptoms could range from sleeping problems and substance use disorders to disorders of different body systems. There is also a connection between trauma and chronic health conditions. For these reasons, practitioners should be aware of trauma-informed health care and understand the common responses and stress reactions to trauma.
This course aims to provide an overview of the types of trauma and the variety of physical and psychological effects experienced by different individuals as a result, and the potential impact on the individual's engagement in a therapeutic relationship.
This course is made up of videos, reading, forum posts and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- The Value of Trauma-Informed-Health Care
- Understanding the Impact of Trauma on a Person’s Psyche
- The Polyvagal Theory
- Interventions for harmonizing Body System’s Functions by Physical Activity
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 3-4 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 3.4 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- explain the impact of trauma in a person on the emotional, physical, cognitive, social, and behavioral realms
- describe the 5 different immediate and delayed reactions to trauma
- plan patient education regarding the physiological reactions of trauma, how traumatic experiences can affect the vagus nerve, the gut’s microbiome, heart rate variability (HRV) and the effect of exercise
- describe the core concepts of the polyvagal theory
- list the 3 phylogenetic stages within the polyvagal theory
- describe the key elements of the Identity Oriented Psychotrauma Theory (IoPT) in relation to identity, perpetrator - victim dynamics, and overcoming strategies
- justify the importance of physical activity/exercise in Post Traumatic Stress Disorders (PTSD)
Physiotherapist, Iran, Islamic Republic Of
All you need to know in a very easy way to understand
This course is an excellent way to improve and build your knowledge. It is interactive and educational and is a great way of improving your skills.