Treatment-Based Classification System for Low Back Pain
This course will explore the algorithms and different treatment approaches that form part of the Treatment-Based Classification System and explore how to triage patients into these treatment/rehabilitation approaches. The course will not teach practical skills or lead to any clinical qualification.
The Treatment-Based Classification (TBC) System for low back pain provides a model that the clinician can use to make evidence based treatment decisions from the patient's clinical presentation. In this approach the patient is first triaged to determine if they will benefit from rehabilitation and then triaged to determine which rehabilitation approach is most appropriate. The primary purpose of the TBC approach is to identify features at baseline that predict responsiveness to three different rehabilitation approaches.
This short course consists of three main elements:
- Video of interview with topic specialist
- Reading activity
Course aimsThis course aims to provide you with information regarding the basis of the Treatment-Based Classification System and directions on how to apply it in daily practice.
Hours of learning
Completing this course will involve approximately 1.6 hours of learning activities and these can be completed on a participant’s own schedule.
This is a short course comprised of 3 components, a video, a reading section(s), and a quiz. No deadlines are applied and this course can be started and completed according to your own schedule. We expect the required elements of the entire course to take around 1-2 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there may be some optional resources provided and a discussion forum, if you choose to engage with these the course could take longer to complete.At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion.
Types of activitiesReading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- identify the appropriate approach to management for a person with low back pain
- describe the 3 rehabilitation approaches that form part of the Treatment-Based Classification System
- match a patient’s signs and symptoms, subjective tests, and history to a rehabilitation approach
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate you will need to:
- Be part of the Physiopedia Plus Community Culture.
- Log as completed all the required learning activities (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.