Trends and Challenges in Global Health
"The key determinants of health of individuals and populations are the circumstances in which people are born, grow, live, work and age and these circumstances are affected by the social and economic environment.” Sir Michael Marmot, Chair of the Commission on Social Determinants of Health, World Health Organization, August 28, 2008. But what are the biggest Global Health Challenges affecting us? In this course we review emerging trends in global health and take the opportunity to examine in detail some of the major global health issues such as communicable disease, non-communicable disease and the impact of natural disaster and conflict on Global Health. You will also hear from fellow learners around the world about what the most prominent Global Health issues they are experiencing in their country.
This course aims to ensure a comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the emerging trends in Global Health and the challenges they pose to us as physiotherapists.
This course is made up of videos, reading, forum posts and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- What is the Biggest Global Health Challenge?
- Emerging Trends in Global Health
- Non-Communicable Diseases
- Communicable Diseases
- Disaster Management
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 4-5 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 4.2 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- describe the current 10 threats to global health
- identify 3 non-modifiable and 3 modifiable risk factors for Non-Communicable Disease
- identify the roles a physiotherapist/physical therapist plays in the prevention and reduction of communicable and noncommunicable diseases
- describe the physiotherapy / physical therapy involvement in the four stages of Disaster Management