Online Course: Understanding Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)
An exploration of the history, clinical presentation, diagnosis, management and the prevention of this new virus
Powered by Physiopedia
Summarising the latest research & evidence
Trusted by over - clinicians
Learn anytime, anywhere, on any device
Accredited certificate of completion
Coronaviruses are a family of viruses that cause illnesses such as respiratory or gastrointestinal diseases. In January 2020 a previously unknown coronavirus was identified in Wuhan China. The group of conditions related with infection by this new virus was named Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) by the World Health Organisation (WHO). Following its rapid spread around the globe, the WHO has declared the COVID-19 a pandemic. It mainly presents with respiratory symptoms, fever and can result in severe acute respiratory distress in high-risk populations.
This course aims to provide you with an introductory insight into this novel coronavirus and includes its clinical presentation, diagnosis, management and the prevention of transmission
This course is made up of videos, reading, forum posts and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Reading activity
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 1 hour depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 0.9 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- describe COVID-19 in terms of the virus strain, transmission, incubation period, and case definitions
- correctly identify COVID-19 symptoms, high-risk populations, and reasons for emergency medical treatment
- discuss optimal treatment options for patients with COVID-19
- list at least 4 strategies to prevent the spread of COVID-19
- briefly discuss optimal testing, differential diagnosis and treatment options for patients with COVID-19
Thank you to the Physioplus team for all your hard work in giving us this platform to gain knowledge and stay current in the ever-changing world of physio.
Excellent course and the information was presented in a clear and concise manner.