Summarising the latest research & evidence
Trusted by over 100,000 clinicians
Learn anytime, anywhere, on any device
Accredited certificate of completion
The wheelchair is one of the most commonly used assistive devices for enhancing personal mobility, which is a precondition for enjoying human rights and living in dignity. For many people, an appropriate, well-designed and well-fitted wheelchair can be the first step towards integration, participation and inclusion in society. It is much more than just an assistive device for many people with impairments; it is the means by which they can exercise their human rights and achieve inclusion and equal participation.
This course aims to provide a basic theoretical understanding of wheelchair mobility and to develop an understanding of the theoretical principles, skills and knowledge underlying the management skills and knowledge in the management of wheelchair service delivery.
This course is made up of videos, reading, forum posts and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Global Disability Context and Wheelchair Mobility
- Aetiology and Epidemiology
- Appropriate Wheelchair
- Introduction to Wheelchair Design
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy professionals, clinicians and students. Other interested professionals such as prosthetists/orthotists, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 4-5 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 4 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- describe the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Person with Disabilities with regards to wheelchair provision
- detail their local national prevalence and the global prevalence of people living with some form of disability
- explain 4 benefits of a wheelchair and 5 challenges for wheelchair users
- explain how wheelchair design can impact on an individual’s function and satisfaction
- plan the appropriate wheelchair provision and education based on the individual, their needs, environment, and activities after reviewing a case scenario
See more testimonials