Summarising the latest research & evidence
Trusted by over 100,000 clinicians
Learn anytime, anywhere, on any device
Accredited certificate of completion
Following an ankle sprain 70% of people struggle to return to their previous level of function. In many cases this is related to their development of a condition called chronic ankle instability. This condition has significant impact on well being with approximately 85% of people diagnosed with chronic ankle instability also developing problems in the contralateral limb. Cailbhe Doherty will share his research on chronic ankle instability, then we will have a more in depth look into the development of chronic ankle instability, sensorimotor deficits linked to chronic ankle instability, risk prediction, and ways to prevent and manage it.
This course aims to look at how chronic ankle instability develops, reviewing current research on risk identification for chronic ankle instability, and prevention and management strategies.
This course is made up of videos, reading, forum posts and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Watch a video interview with Cailbhe Doherty
- Read a related physiopedia page
- Pass a quiz
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 1.2 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 1.2 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- compare the two subgroups of chronic ankle instability
- explain chronic ankle instability in terms of the development and associated sensorimotor deficits
- describe the 3 criteria in predicting chronic ankle instability
- discuss the four pillars of preventing chronic ankle instability
See more testimonials