Online Course: Implementing an Early Mobility Programme for Critically Ill Patients
Improve your patients' outcomes by implementing early mobility programmes in the critical care setting
Powered by Physiopedia
Summarising the latest research & evidence
Trusted by over - clinicians
Learn anytime, anywhere, on any device
Accredited certificate of completion
Select a country (and if appropriate state) to view information about this course's accreditation and/or acceptance in this jurisdiction.
Early mobility programmes for critically ill patients have been found to improve outcomes across a range of measures, from length of hospital stay to functional status on discharge. They are safe and feasible to implement, but there are many perceived barriers to these programmes in intensive care units around the world. This course explores the benefits of early mobility programmes and discusses the implementation of these programmes for patients in intensive care settings.
This course aims to introduce the benefits of early mobility programmes and discusses methods to help with their implementation and overcome barriers.
This course is made up of videos, readings, and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Reading Activities
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 1-1.5 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 0.9 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- discuss the negative effects of prolonged immobility in ICU
- justify the use of early mobility programmes in ICU to combat the effects of prolonged immobility
- describe barriers and facilitators to implementing early mobility programmes in ICU
- propose strategies that can enhance the implementation of early mobility programmes in ICU based on current research recommendations