ACL Rehabilitation – Acute Management After Surgery
See more testimonials
ACL injuries are unfortunately common in many sports. The consequences following the injury are devastating and can be career-ending for many athletes. By planning a thorough rehabilitation program, physiotherapists have a major role to play in a successful outcome and preventing future complications. This course considers the initial phase of such a programme that immediately follows surgery and which has a significant influence on the time taken to recover and the eventual outcome. It will give you an overview of the important goals, outcomes and management strategies up to 6 weeks following ACL reconstruction.
This course aims to take you through the important considerations and goals of the acute management after ACL reconstruction.
This course is made up of videos, reading, discussions and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Video presentation by Luke O'Brien
- Reading activity
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 1.2 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 1.2 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- list 4 pre-op ACL management strategies
- list at least 4 considerations before designing an ACL post-surgery rehabilitation program
- discuss the 5 goals of the acute management phase
- plan the management strategies appropriate for each of the 5 goals
- list 4 criteria to move to the next phase of rehabilitation