Online Course: Assessment of Fitness for Return to Work
Use an evidence based approach to evaluate when a patient can safely return to employment
Powered by Physiopedia
Summarising the latest research & evidence
Trusted by over 100,000 clinicians
Learn anytime, anywhere, on any device
Accredited certificate of completion
Musculoskeletal pain is a major cause of disability and affects an individual’s ability to engage in work. Only 40% of patients who have chronic musculoskeletal pain are able to work full time. Employment is an essential part of life and an inability to work due to disability has many negative effects. Occupational health physiotherapists need to conduct thorough assessments to determine fitness to return to work for patients with these conditions. This course introduces this role of the healthcare professional and discusses the key features of an evidence based return to work assessment.
This course aims to introduce fitness to return to work assessments and the role of the occupational health physiotherapist.
This course is made up of videos, reading, forum posts and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Reading Activities
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 1 hour depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 0.9 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- describe the impact of musculoskeletal conditions on work
- identify six reasons why work is important for an individual
- summarise the role of the occupational health physiotherapist in fitness to return to work assessments
- choose an appropriate set of assessment tools to include in a fitness to return to work assessment
- justify the use of functional tests in a fitness to return to work assessment
CHE YEUNG Abdul
I strongly recommend the courses provided by Physioplus as it improves your knowledge, skills, and they are easy to follow and enjoyable.
Kate Elizabeth Chafer
Physiotherapist, United Kingdom
Excellent courses and the resources are brilliant so thank you