Online Course: Diagnosis and Classification of Spondyloarthropathies
Be confident in your ability to understand the diagnostic criteria of spondyloarthropathy and identify patients who require specialist review
Powered by Physiopedia
Summarising the latest research & evidence
Trusted by over - clinicians
Learn anytime, anywhere, on any device
Accredited certificate of completion
Spondyloarthropathy is a chronic form of inflammatory arthritis which has axial and peripheral manifestations, as well as extra-articular features. Because of its varied presentation, diagnosing spondyloarthropathy can be a lengthy and complex process. While only rheumatologists are able to diagnose spondyloarthropathy, it is important that other clinicians, including physiotherapists, are able to recognise features consistent with these conditions to ensure prompt referral. This course will outline some of the key classification systems developed for differential diagnosis to improve early detection of spondyloarthropathy.
The aim of this course is to provide an overview of the classification systems used to diagnose spondyloarthropathy, including the CASPAR and ASAS criteria.
This course is made up of videos, reading, discussions and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Reading activity
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 0.5-1 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 0.7 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- explain the importance of early diagnosis of spondyloarthropathy
- list the radiological and clinical criteria of the Modified New York Classification Criteria for axial spondyloarthritis
- describe the ASAS Criteria for axial and peripheral spondyloarthritis
- discuss the Criteria of the Classification of Psoriatic Arthritis (CASPAR) system for psoriatic arthritis
- determine when referral to a specialist is warranted based upon a case scenario about spondyloarthropathy
Texas Physical Therapy Association
United States - Texas
The assignment of Texas PT CCUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by TPTA or TBPTE.
This activity is provided by the Texas Board of Physical Therapy Examiners Accredited Provider #2312053TX and meets continuing competence requirements for PT and PTA licensure renewal in Texas. This activity will provide 0.81 CCUs.