Introduction to Occupational Health
Work enhances physical and mental health, plus it develops confidence, purpose and fulfilment. It is therefore essential that individuals who have long term sickness that results in an absence from work, are effectively supported in their return to productivity. Occupational Health specialists are involved in managing this process. This course, the first in a series of courses from The Association of Chartered Physiotherapists in Occupational Health and Ergonomics (ACPOHE), introduces the discipline of Occupational Health.
This course aims to introduce Occupational Health as a discipline and highlights that all physiotherapists should consider work related factors when treating the working age population.
This course is made up of videos, reading, forum posts and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Reading activity
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 1 hour depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 0.7 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Identify three core goals of Occupational Health
- Describe the roles of five common team members within an Occupational Health Team
- Explain why Occupational Health is so important for both the worker and the employer
- Select simple assessment/treatment strategies to enable a worker to remain at work