Summarising the latest research & evidence
Trusted by over - clinicians
Learn anytime, anywhere, on any device
Accredited certificate of completion
Parkinson’s is a complex neurodegenerative condition that severely affects how people with this condition live life. It is estimated that seven to ten million people worldwide are living with Parkinson's. Physiotherapists have an integral role to play in the management of this condition working alongside other healthcare professionals. In this course you will learn about the clinical stages of Parkinson’s, criteria of diagnosis, associated symptoms and available treatment options.
This course aims to explore clinically relevant aspects of Parkinson's, the diagnostic criteria and associated non-motor symptoms.
This course is made up of videos, reading, forum posts and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Reading Section
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 1 hour depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 1 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Identify the 2 neuro-pathological characteristics of Parkinson’s
- List at least 3 factors affecting the prognosis of Parkinson’s
- Classify case patients into the 3 clinical stages of Parkinson’s, based upon the pre-diagnostic features they present with
- Identify the 4 functions of the basal ganglia
- Select the 3 main motor symptoms of Parkinson’s
- List 5 non-motor symptoms of Parkinson’s
- Identify 2 scales to evaluate motor progression in Parkinson’s
Physiotherapist, South Africa
A great introduction to Parkinson's - I'm ready to do all the modules now!
Physiotherapist, Saint Lucia
This course was a perfect introduction to Parkinson's and has helped me to identify other causes of Parkinson-like symptoms. Thank you Physioplus!
A very thorough, up to date summary on Parkinsons Disease and very useful for a therapist who is looking to upskill in this area.