Crepitus of the knee can be a very alarming symptom for people with knee problems and even those who have no other knee symptoms. It can provoke avoidance behaviours and anxiety responses because of lack of understanding of what the noise is and where it is coming from. Recent studies are showing that a lot of knee crepitus is actually physiological and does not have any impact on knee strength, function and pain. In this course, Claire Robertson explains exactly what crepitus is and how we should educate patients who have “noisy knees”
The aim of this course is to introduce the learner to concerns and beliefs around knee crepitus, what crepitus of the knee really is and how to educate patients on knee crepitus
This course is made up of videos, reading, forum posts and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Reading activity
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 1 hour depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 0.8 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- list at least 9 causes of knee crepitus
- discuss the relationship of knee crepitus with pain and function
- identify at least 6 ways how a patient’s beliefs about knee crepitus impact their behaviour
- independently select the appropriate management strategies for patients with knee crepitus based upon case scenarios