Online Course: Managing Disorders of the Canine Spine
Improve your patients’ quality of life with the most up-to-date interventions for spinal pain in dogs
Powered by Physiopedia
Summarising the latest research & evidence
Trusted by over - clinicians
Learn anytime, anywhere, on any device
Accredited certificate of completion
Select a country (and if appropriate state) to view information about this course's accreditation and/or acceptance in this jurisdiction.
Spinal pain is a common presenting complaint in canine patients. There are over 40 different diseases that affect the spine in dogs, a number of which cause similar symptoms. Accurate diagnosis can, therefore, be challenging. This course will explore some of the more common spinal conditions that you may encounter in small animal practice, discussing epidemiology, pathophysiology and diagnosis. Management strategies for each of these conditions will also be discussed.
This course aims to equip you with the skills to manage spinal conditions in canine patients.
This course is made up of videos, readings, discussions and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Reading activities
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 2.5-3 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 2.4 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- describe the functional anatomy of the canine spine
- describe the epidemiology of common orthopaedic conditions of the canine spine
- discuss the pathophysiology of common orthopaedic conditions of the canine spine
- summarise the surgical and conservative treatment options for orthopaedic disorders of the canine spine
- design an appropriate intervention for a canine patient with spinal dysfunction based on a case scenario