Non-operative ACL Rehabilitation
Decisions and management relating to conservative ACL rehabilitation
An online course with Luke O'Brien
Trusted by over 100,000 physiotherapists
Improve your clinical knowledge and skills today!
Learn anytime, anywhere, on any device
Considering the potential for postoperative complications, a small percentage of patients with ACL injuries might be suitable for non-operative management. An evidence-based set of screening tests can help us identify this group. Rehabilitation concepts are similar for both operative and nonoperative treatment of ACL injuries. However non-operative treatment is different with an increased emphasis on neuromuscular training to restore joint stability.
This course introduces non-operative rehabilitation of ACL reviewing the screening tests that can be used to identify candidates and the specific aspects of their management.
This course is made up of videos, reading, forum posts and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Reading activity
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 1 hour depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 0.9 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- identify the 4 indications for considering ACL non-operative treatment
- define the 5 criteria of potential coopers to ACL non-operative management
- plan exercises/modalities to include in the non-operative ACL treatment throughout different stages of rehabilitation
- identify the 3 criteria for return to sports after rehabilitation