Online Course: Paediatric Assessment Using the Peabody Developmental Motor Scale-2
Improve your motor evaluation of paediatric patients
Powered by Physiopedia
Summarising the latest research & evidence
Trusted by over - clinicians
Learn anytime, anywhere, on any device
Accredited certificate of completion
The Peabody Developmental Motor Scales- 2 (PDMS-2) is recognised as the first nationally standardised assessment tool to provide separate gross and fine motor scores for children between the ages of birth to 71 months old. The application of the PDMS-2 helps to estimate a child’s motor competence relative to his or her peers. It can identify delays or disorders in the child’s development and it also makes use of specific skill deficits to develop individualised goals in the treatment of children with developmental delays. In this course, Atara Taragin discusses the administration and scoring of the gross motor function section of the PDMS-2.
Effectively assess gross motor control in children using the Peabody Motor Developmental Scale-2 (PDMS-2)
This course is made up of videos, reading, discussions and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Reading activity
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 1.5-2.0 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 1.6 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Describe the Peabody Developmental Motor Scale 2 and its benefits as an assessment tool for the evaluation of the gross motor development in young children
- Discuss at least four ways in which the PDMS-2 can be utilised in various paediatric populations to achieve specific goals
- Choose the correct entry level of each subtest and the correct subtests to administer in children between the ages of 0 -72 months old with possible gross motor developmental delays
- Correctly identify the basal level and ceiling level of each subtest of the gross motor skill section in the assessment of children with possible developmental delays
- Interpret the score of the Peabody Developmental Motor Scale -2 after administration of the test in order to decide what course of treatment is needed in the child with developmental delays
South African Society of Physiotherapy
South African Society of Physiotherapy: PPB007/PT001/2021/181 (3 General CEUs Level 1)
Texas Physical Therapy Association
United States - Texas
The assignment of Texas PT CCUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by TPTA or TBPTE.
This activity is provided by the Texas Board of Physical Therapy Examiners Accredited Provider #2312053TX and meets continuing competence requirements for PT and PTA licensure renewal in Texas. This activity will provide 1.89 CCUs.
Physiotherapist, United Kingdom
Physioplus is the best learning platform that connects the minds of physios all over the world. It's a great opportunity and pleasure to learn from and with the international physio family. Thank you so much Physioplus team for your generous support.
Physiotherapist, United States
Physioplus is an extremely helpful resource. I have been out of ‘hands on’ Physiotherapy for a few years (doing humanitarian work abroad), and this has given me up to date, evidence based research and guidelines. I wish I’d discovered it earlier: it would have saved me a lot of trawling around the Internet for high quality articles.