Online Course: Practical Postural Techniques for Speech Therapists and Physiotherapists
Build on your theoretical knowledge of postural principles with practical skills that will enhance your clinical practice
Powered by Physiopedia
Summarising the latest research & evidence
Trusted by over - clinicians
Learn anytime, anywhere, on any device
Accredited certificate of completion
Select a country (and if appropriate state) to view information about this course's accreditation and/or acceptance in this jurisdiction.
There is a known link between posture and vocal quality, as well as posture and swallowing. When working with speech therapy patients, it is essential to have the skills to evaluate the relationship between posture and these functions. This course will introduce specific methods that can be used to assess and address postural dysfunction. The techniques discussed in this course focus on standing and sitting postures that can be easily adopted in speech therapy practice.
This course aims to introduce practical postural techniques that are useful in a speech therapy setting.
This course is made up of videos, reading, discussions and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Reading activity
This course is aimed at Speech and Language Therapists, Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 1.5-2 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 1.6 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- describe the key components of a postural assessment for speech therapy patients
- discuss two tests used to evaluate the function of the vestibulospinal reflex and progressions of these tests that are relevant to speech therapy patients
- describe three potential outcomes when attempting a postural correction of speech therapy patients
- interpret the assessment findings of a speech therapy patient with postural dysfunction based on a case scenario
- elect an appropriate treatment for a speech therapy patient with postural dysfunction based on a case scenario