Online Course: Respiratory Management of People with COVID-19
Learn about physiotherapy management of patients with moderate to severe symptoms of COVID-19 in an Acute Hospital Setting
Powered by Physiopedia
Summarising the latest research & evidence
Trusted by over - clinicians
Learn anytime, anywhere, on any device
Accredited certificate of completion
Approximately 15% of individuals with COVID-19 develop moderate to severe disease and require hospitalisation and oxygen support, with a further 5% who require admission to an Intensive Care Unit and supportive therapies including intubation and ventilation. The most common complication in severe COVID-19 patients is severe pneumonia, but other complications may include Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS), Sepsis and Septic Shock, Multiple Organ Failure, including Acute Kidney Injury and Cardiac Injury. Physiotherapists need to understand their role in the management of patients with COVID-19 in the acute hospital setting and also in the rehabilitation following recovery from the disease.
This course aims to provide you with an understanding of respiratory management of patients with COVID-19 and the role physiotherapists can play in managing issues related to treating patients with moderate to severe symptoms in an acute hospital setting.
This course is made up of videos, reading, forum posts and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Reading activity
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 1.5 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 1.5 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- List the most common complication seen in hospitalised patients with COVID-19
- Select the radiological presentation for Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome
- Correctly identify the type of cough and sputum load in patients with COVID-19
- Discuss which procedures are aerosol generating and which precautions to take
- Identify when a patient with COVID-19 is appropriate for respiratory physiotherapy referral
- Select appropriate physiotherapy interventions for patients with COVID-19 who have respiratory symptoms