Role of Physical Activity in Non-Communicable Diseases
Targeting NCDs with physical activity
An online course with the Physioplus Team
Trusted by over 100,000 physiotherapists
Improve your clinical knowledge and skills today!
Learn anytime, anywhere, on any device
Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs) are one of the world’s largest health challenges. These diseases are Diabetes, Cancer, Cardiovascular Disease, Chronic Respiratory Diseases and Mental Illness. According to the WHO 71% of all deaths globally are as a result of NCDs. Most NCD deaths are a result of cardiovascular disease, followed by cancer, respiratory diseases and diabetes. These conditions result in over 80% of all premature NCD deaths. The risk of NCDs is influenced by modifiable behaviours and physical inactivity is one of the most important and relevant of these. This course will introduce the concept of Non-Communicable Diseases and will cover the role of physical activity in 5 diseases.
The aim of this course is to explore what effect physical activity has on the development and treatment of Non-Communicable Diseases.
This course is made up of videos, reading, discussions and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Non-communicable Diseases
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Chronic Respiratory Diseases
- Mental Health
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 3-4 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 3.4 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- List 4 modifiable risk factors for Non-communicable Diseases (NCDs)
- Identify at least 3 ways in which physical activity has a positive effect on diabetes and hypertension
- List at least 3 important aspects with regards to physical activity and cardiovascular disease
- Revise a physical activity programme based on different NCD case presentations
- Identify at least 6 benefits of exercising for patients with COPD
- List at least 3 barriers to physical activity for people with cancer and people with a mental illness
- Select 5 precautions for physical activity in a patient with cancer