Steps to Appropriate Wheelchair Provision
See more testimonials
In 2008 with input from more than twenty-five wheelchair and rehabilitation experts the World Health Organisation (WHO) released guidelines on the provision of manual wheelchairs in less resourced settings. It outlines eight main steps that wheelchair service personnel need to carry out in order to provide a wheelchair. This course provides an overview of the steps to appropriate wheelchair provision followed by a more detailed review of the wheelchair assessment, prescription and preparation process.
The aim of this section is to provide comprehensive knowledge of appropriate wheelchair provision, and consider the impact it has on both user function and satisfaction.
This course is made up of videos, reading, forum posts and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Wheelchair Assessment
- Pressure Management and Postural Support
- Wheelchair Prescription
- Wheelchair Preparation
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 6 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 6 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- identify the 8 steps to appropriate wheelchair provision
- explain 9 risks for developing pressure ulcers and their prevention
- plan a thorough assessment for an individual requiring a wheelchair
- justify the appropriate wheelchair prescription and preparation based upon a complete patient evaluation and current wheelchair assessment as per case scenarios