The Role of Physical Activity in Specific Conditions
Physical activity plays an important part in the health and wellbeing of people with different conditions. These conditions could be short or long term and it is important for the physiotherapists to know the benefits and when and how to prescribe physical activity. This course explores the role of physical activity in long term or age related conditions and explores conditions that may only be temporary such as pre and post surgery and pregnancy.
This course will cover physical activity benefits, contraindications and prescription in different short term and long term conditions.
This course is made up of videos, reading, discussions and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Physical activity with pre and post surgery and acute care
- Physical activity in pregnancy
- Physical activity with increased age
- Physical activity in long term musculoskeletal conditions
- Physical activity in neurological conditions
- Physical activity in HIV/AIDS
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 4 - 4.5 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 4.2 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- describe at least 2 benefits of physical activity in relation to the specific conditions listed in this course
- list at least 2 contraindications for physical activity in acute care, pregnancy, and the elderly
- plan a physical activity program based upon case representations for patients with specific conditions