Wheelchair Fitting, Skills and Maintenance
In this course we will be learning more about the detailed fitting process to ensure the correct fit for each individual wheelchair user. Once we have the individual adequately set up in the wheelchair we will then consider user training in terms of development of specific skills relevant to their needs and environment and also review the importance of ongoing maintenance.
- Wheelchair Fitting
- Wheelchair User Training
- Wheelchair Skills
- Wheelchair Maintenance
- Outcome Measures for Wheelchair and Seating Provision
Course aimsThe aim of this course is to provide comprehensive knowledge of the importance of adequate user fitting and training including both specific wheelchair and maintenance skills.
Hours of learning
Completing this course will involve approximately 4 hours of learning activities that can be completed on a participant’s own schedule.
Please note that no deadlines are applied and this course can be started and completed according to your own schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 4-6 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
It’s not going to be easy, we’ll expect you to work hard for your completion certificate and Physioplus points! You won’t be sitting back and watching webinars, we’ll expect you to do reading tasks, complete quizzes, perform literature searches and other learning activities. You’ll need to reflect on your own experiences and contribute them within the discussion forum, this is where we can learn from each other’s experiences and knowledge from all around the world! At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 4 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Types of activitiesReading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- revise the seating prescription for an individual in a case scenario by following the 4 steps to wheelchair fitting
- plan a wheelchair skills training session based upon an individual portrayed in a case scenario
- describe the 6 important components of taking care of a wheelchair at home with regards to why, when, and how
- discuss the role of outcome measures for wheelchair and seating provision
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate you will need to:
- Be part of the Physiopedia Plus Community Culture.
- Log as completed all the required learning activities (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.