Wheelchair Fitting, Skills and Maintenance
There is more to enabling someone with a wheelchair than simply providing a wheelchair. It must fit correctly and the user must have the skills to use and maintain this assistive device. In this course we will be learning more about the detailed fitting process to ensure the correct fit for each individual wheelchair user. Once we have the individual adequately set up in the wheelchair we will then consider user training in terms of development of specific skills relevant to their needs and environment and also review the importance of ongoing maintenance.
The aim of this course is to provide comprehensive knowledge of the importance of adequate user fitting and training including both specific wheelchair and maintenance skills.
This course is made up of videos, reading, forum posts and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Wheelchair Fitting
- Wheelchair User Training
- Wheelchair Skills
- Wheelchair Maintenance
- Outcome Measures for Wheelchair and Seating Provision
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 4-6 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 4 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- revise the seating prescription for an individual in a case scenario by following the 4 steps to wheelchair fitting
- plan a wheelchair skills training session based upon an individual portrayed in a case scenario
- describe the 6 important components of taking care of a wheelchair at home with regards to why, when, and how
- discuss the role of outcome measures for wheelchair and seating provision