Wheelchair Service Delivery
Wheelchair Services provide the framework for assessing individual user needs, assist in selecting an appropriate wheelchair, train users and caregivers, and provide ongoing support and referral to other services where appropriate. This course will consider Wheelchair Services, examine the different models for wheelchair service delivery and develop an understanding of wheelchair provision in your region, country, or district. It will also enable you to explore the next steps in further developing your skills and competence in wheelchair provision.
The aim of this course is to provide comprehensive knowledge of wheelchair service delivery.
This course is made up of videos, reading, forum posts and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Wheelchair Services Models
- The Role of the Multidisciplinary Team in Wheelchair Service Provision
- Referrals and Appointments
- Funding and Ordering
- Wheelchair Service Follow Up
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 3-4 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 3 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- describe general and local wheelchair provision service delivery models in relation to laws, strategies, policies and action plans
- identify five ways the multidisciplinary team can support a wheelchair user’s right to personal mobility and to be actively involved in wheelchair provision
- select the appropriate actions for referral, appointments, funding and ordering of wheelchairs based on a case scenario
- discuss a patient case scenario with reference to the assessment, wheelchair prescription, fitting, training requirements, and follow up planning