Whiplash Associated Disorders and Neck Rehabilitation
Whiplash injury can lead to a variety of clinical manifestations called Whiplash Associated Disorders (WAD). It is estimated that about 30% to 50% of patients who sustain a symptomatic whiplash injury will ultimately report chronic, and potentially more widespread symptoms. As a physiotherapist it is important to know the presentation, examination, and management of a person with WAD as well as have an understanding of red flags and general neck pain rehabilitation.
The aim of the course is to provide you with an in-depth overview of Whiplash Associated Disorders and remind you of red flags to consider as well as the principles of neck pain rehabilitation.
This course is made up of videos, reading, forum posts and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Video interview with Chris Worsfold
- Reading activities
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy professionals, clinicians and students.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 1.5-2 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 1.5 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- describe 3 aspects of the Clinical Prediction Rule for patients with neck pain and Whiplash Associated Disorder (WAD)
- list 12 things to consider when evaluating a patient with neck pain and WAD
- discuss 7 management strategies for a patient with Whiplash and WAD
- choose 5 functional rehabilitation exercises for a patient recovering from neck pain