Leadership – Personal Values and Beliefs
Personal values are broad goals that represent what is important to someone. Beliefs are thought constructs that people apply to themselves, others, the world or the future. Personal values and beliefs help to guide our behaviours and decisions we make. A person's beliefs can be positive or negative and true or untrue. When analysing beliefs by their polarity and accuracy one can see where improvements can be made in their lives. This can be done by reframing untrue beliefs and recognising negative, true beliefs as an opportunity to change.
This course will define what personal values and beliefs are and their role in our everyday life. It will explore and uncover aspired and practiced personal values, describe the personal impact of positive and negative beliefs, identify your existing beliefs and reframe negative, untrue beliefs into positivity and truth.
This course is made up of videos, reading, forum posts and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Reading activity
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 1-1.5 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 1 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- describe at least five characteristics of personal values
- classify personal values into Schwartz 10 motivationally distinct categories
- identify the 5 sources and 4 categories of beliefs
- classify beliefs based on their polarity and accuracy
- describe the correct methods to modify an untrue belief