Emotional Intelligence (EI) is the ability to recognise, understand and manage the emotions of oneself and of others. It is developed throughout life and can be learnt and improved on. Emotional intelligence has been shown to positively influence work performance, leadership, relationships, patient satisfaction and psychological health. A person’s EI can be assessed and areas of strength and weakness can be identified and worked on.
This course aims to describe and define EI. It will explore the role of EI in effective leadership. It will guide you in identifying areas of EI strength and opportunities for EI improvement within yourself and help develop an action plan to improve EI and leadership effectiveness
This course is made up of videos, reading, forum posts and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Reading activity
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 1.5-2 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 1.4 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- list the 8 different types of intelligences
- describe at least 4 key components of Emotional intelligence
- describe the 5 differences between EQ and IQ
- explain at least 8 characteristics of someone with a high EQ
- develop an action plan to improve Emotional intelligence based on limitations identified within the Bar-On model