A therapeutic alliance is the sense of collaboration, warmth, and support between the client and therapist. It is made up of the therapeutic relationship, collaborative goal setting and shared decision making. There is strong evidence to show that a robust therapeutic alliance has positive influences on patient satisfaction and outcomes in rehabilitation.
This course will enable you to understand what a therapeutic alliance is, and show you what you can do to help improve your therapeutic alliance with patients.
This course aims to introduce you to the 3 components of the therapeutic alliance and the practical application of these components in a rehabilitation setting.
This course is made up of videos, reading, forum posts and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- Reading activity
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.
Hours of Learning - No deadlines are applied to this course and it can be started and completed in your own time according to your personal schedule. We expect the required elements to take around 1-1.5 hours depending on your schedule and learning style. Additionally there are many optional resources provided and if you choose to review these the course could take longer to complete.
Types of Activities - Reading Physiopedia pages, journal articles, book chapters. Watching videos. Attempting quizzes. Participating in an international discussion forum.
Certificates - At the end of the course, when you have completed all of the required elements, you will be able to download a certificate of completion and 1.1 Physioplus points will be added to your personalised learning dashboard.
Requirements to complete this course
In order to complete this course and receive a course completion certificate plus CEUs/CCUs/CPD points you will need to:
- Respect the Physioplus Community Culture.
- Log all the required learning activities as complete (represented by the orange icons!).
- Actively and appropriately participate in the course discussions.
- Pass a final quiz with a score of 80% or more.
- Complete a course evaluation form.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- discuss the 3 components of the therapeutic alliance based upon case scenarios featuring patient-therapist interactions
- discuss at least 5 outcomes that are positively influenced by the therapeutic alliance
- identify 1 outcome measure specific to therapeutic alliance