Dr. James Laskin has extensive experience as a researcher and clinician
Physical therapist, Dr. Jennifer Bell, is recognised for her work in interprofessional education and global health
Select a country (and if appropriate state) to view information about this course's accreditation and/or acceptance in this jurisdiction.
Sport and exercise medicine is a rapidly growing and exciting specialist discipline. This introductory programme will provide the aspiring sports clinician with a thorough understanding of the effects of physical activity and exercise on the human body and how this knowledge can be applied to evidence-based assessments and management of athletes. Course participants will develop skills to promote physical activity and exercise as well as the ability to provide a valuable understanding of the role of the sports physiotherapist in the athlete-centred sports medicine multidisciplinary team.
This programme aims to provide introductory knowledge on the foundational concepts of sports physiotherapy, the effects of exercise on the human body, pre-season evaluations, emergency planning, environmental considerations in sport, doping in sports and considerations for special populations such as the female athlete and athletes with disabilities.
This course is made up of videos, reading, forum posts and a final quiz. The course content is split into the following sections:
- An Introduction to Sports Medicine
- Foundational Concepts in Sports Medicine
- Chronic Adaptations to Exercise
- Physiology and Healing in Sport
- Benefits, Requirements, and Results of Fitness and Performance Testing in Sport
- Test Administration and Test Batteries for Fitness and Performance Testing in Sport
- Individual Tests for Fitness and Performance Testing in Sport
- Pre-Season Evaluation in Sport
- Pre-Competition Management
- The Built Environment and Ultraviolet Light as Environmental Concerns in Sport
- Altitude as an Environmental Concern in Sport
- Thermoregulation and Exercise in the Heat and Cold
- More courses to be added
This course is aimed at Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy clinicians, students and assistants. Other interested professionals such as athletic trainers, occupational therapists, nurses or medical doctors interested in this subject are also invited to participate.